Paint won't come off ceiling to be plastered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20161023_142755.jpg

Hi,
We are stripping our living room and have a plasterer coming tomorrow.

The job has been fine except for some thick paint (at least it appears to be!) we have uncovered on the ceiling after removing the wood chip.

Some of the paint appears to have been applied to some lining paper and some directly to the plaster but is incredibly hard to remove.

We've steamed, scraped and applied coats of wallpaper and paint stripper. There is a very large area and it is only coming off really slowly.

Does anyone have any tips on removing this or know if it could be plastered over?

The photo shows the ceiling, the white area is the 'paint'.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem - paint which I couldn't get off. Tried scoring, steaming etc.. but found the Only way to remove was slowly chip away at the edges. In the end I just pva'd it and got it skimmed. Still up 6 months later and looking good with no issues.

So long as you don't have distemper on the ceiling, I don't see that it will be a problem.

Best of luck.

yep agree if it's that tight it shouldn't be a problem

Sponsored Links
It will plaster over no problem. The plasterer will more than likely put a coat of PVA on first. Don't worry it wont be a problem. The paint that is on looks like distemper. A coat of Zinsser Gardz will seal that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back