painter and decorators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how much would you say and painter and decorator would charge for painting the inside of a house. its a 3 bed semi, want the kitche-diner, lounge, hall, stairs and landing painted. if i supply paint.

cheers

Sponsored Links
its not the paint thats the problem, a good job takes preperation, that is what takes the time

Sponsored Links
It's funny how 'decorate entire semi detached house' becomes 'a few blank walls'

:D

You need to be more specific in what you want, this is the problem with most people.

Bear in mind, to keeps costs down, empty the rooms and remove carpets first (if being replaced) if the decorator has to do this before he starts, that's your money you're wasting!

Some paints are crap, I will now only use Dulux for woodwork and dulux or crown for walls ceilings etc. I refuse to use the rubbish that customers ask me to use. Half empty dried out tins of '*****' one coat gloss belong in the bin thankyou!!!

I agree whole hartedley with you especially when a whole house becomes a few blank walls, but is it, what about the banisters, sanding them will take hours, as for the paint, i agree again, if you use a cheap paint then you will get a cheap result.

Most people do not understand, quality costs

edited by me for typos

Hall,stairs and landing must be the worst part of the house there is to decorate! I started mine last monday, worked all day everyday since and still not finished. I find the worst bit is room for ladders, tools etc. I had 9 of 6 panel grained doors all over the place, as I have no spare room to use. I only use Dulux (solvent)but the smell is awful with the windows closed in the nice weather! The other problem is unlike other rooms you can't keep everbody out. What a nightmare, to make matters worse i've put some doors back and my wife say's the rooms look dirty now. I can see me doing the whole house here!

nope no sanding, i dont want the banisters doing or the skirting boards. ive had one quote of 150 a room

psalliss said:
nope no sanding,

good job then :eek: :?:

I will always remember donkeys years ago, when my late father painted our house (so the next door neighbour painted his)

external, my father:

burnt all the paint off, back to bare wood, then primer coat, then undercoat (or two) then top coat

neighbour:

topcoat strait onto exisiting paintwork (no cleaning, no nothing)

1 year later:
neighbours paint work all fell off and or flaking off

ours, wash with sugar soap looked like just been done,

6 years later:

wont mention neighbour

ours looking a bit tired,not a flake in sight

goes to show. preperation is all part of the job.

Pity unlike us nowdays, upv window frames (not invented then)

as i already said you get what you pay for

psalliss said:
nope no sanding, i dont want the banisters doing or the skirting boards. ive had one quote of 150 a room

one or two coats?

Ceiling?

Filling/prep?

I charge £100 a day. Depending on size of rooms etc. I don't see £150 to being excessive, but I know the quality of my work :D

If in doubt get more quotes and ask for referees, but to be honest I'd be a little offended if someone was grumbling over £150! :evil:

Pay peanuts... :D

nope no ceilings the house is only a couple of years old and the ceilings are fine. ive only lived in the house 6 months and have painted 2 of the bedrooms, the third is an office so im not painting that and the en-suite bathroom. but the pain in my hands was too much so im being lazy for the rest. :D
theres no filling or prep as such, and i think that the lounge/landing/stairs and the hall will need 2 coats of white first before 1 coat of once only. and the 2 remaining bathrooms are just white now so will only be 1 coat.

Your hands only ache if you use a brush and you are not used to it. A roller on a brush stick is the easiest way to do it. You only need a brush for the edges.

hi mate not its the same with rollers, its the gripping of it and moving in the same action that seems to trigger the pain. ive had a quote for 2 days work total cost £200, he came round gave a quote and called me back when he promised so he seems ok to me.

Having just tiled and painted someone's kitchen with materials they supplied, I now always intend to charge a bit more where materials are supplied.

The tile adhesive was cheapest Dunlop stuff on special offer from local market, and I'm sure it had partially gone off, and the paint was equally useless "thin" stuff that had no chance of good coverage (like two coats of magnolia needed to cover an off-white ceiling). Took me twice as long to do the job. And I had to buy extra adhesive to finish the tiling.

So, if you are supplying the materials, in fairness to your chosen contractor, tell him what materials you have bought, and the quantities so that he/she can advise accordingly, and make necessary allowances.

2 days?...... do you find a cane works best or just an ordinary whip!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back