painting a bedroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our bedroom ceiling is standard plaster painted with white vinyl emulsion, which is now getting a bit grubby after many years. If I give the ceiling a new coat of white emulsion it does not seem to cover the black marks adequately.

Is there a primer, or alternative paint I can use. What do you recommend without going to big expense.

Sponsored Links
It depends what the 'black marks' are.

Grease/rubber : remove with white spirit before painting

Mud (?!) : wash with soapy water

Black mould : remove with bleach

If all else fails, Zinsser products such as Gardz or Bulls Eye primer/sealant are good for pepping the affected areas.

Thanks for the info. I will try it. It is only dust marks to be covered but need to do the whole ceiling.

Very often you need at least two coats if you're painting over something grubby.

What emulsion are you using? Some cheap DIY types are dreadfully thin and very hard to get decent coverage.

Sponsored Links
If it's just dust, then sugar soaping the whole ceiling first will give you a better result when painting it.

It's a bit messy and drippy (wear a shower cap!) but worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back