Painting a Garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ive got to paint a metal up and over door, its conker brown at the moment, can i rub it down with wet and dry then just gloss, or do i need to u/c first? if so what u/c would be suitable for conker brown?
Thx

Sponsored Links
Depends which colour is going over the top. grey undercoat for dark colours and white for light colours

is it aluminium or steel?

are there patches of rust or corrosion?

is it made of metal "planks" rivited together with joints, or pressed out of one big piece?

Sponsored Links
so then what would make a difference? the door is already painted conker brown. Can i get a brown U/C seems silly painting over brown with grey U/C only to paint brown gloss over it afterwards?

the material makes a difference to what primer you use on any damaged/rusted/corroded parts. Steel in particular is very prone to rust which may spread under the paint and push it off.

gloss does not have good covering or obliterating power, so if the surface is patchy or rough, undercoat will enable you to make it even so the topcoat looks better.

how perfect is the finish now?

the finish isnt to bad just looks a bit dull. I was going to u/c anyway just wondered about the colour, as i said in my earlier post seems silly painting over with grey U/C when door is already brown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back