Painting a marble firplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can see this subject has been raised previously a while ago in the hope of advice being put forward - but previously not has been forthcoming.

Does anyone have suggestions of products to use or method of application for painting a marble fireplace?

Thanks
GA

Sponsored Links
i cant give you the answer

but might help any one like me who has possibly missred this
are you saying you want to paint marble a colour
or are you looking for a marble effect paint tecnique

big all

Thanks for highlighting my lack of clarity ..... I have a marble fire surround which I would like to paint over, sacrilege some might say, but never the less the current marble isn't my taste.
Since earlier I had a thought whether is might be possible to cover the marble with "fireproof" wood if there is such a thing? which I could then paint. Any suggestions regarding painting directly onto marble or covering it over neatly would be appreciated.

Thanks for highlighting my lack of clarity ..... I have a marble fire surround which I would like to paint over, sacrilege some might say, but never the less the current marble isn't my taste.
Since earlier I had a thought whether is might be possible to cover the marble with "fireproof" wood if there is such a thing? which I could then paint. Any suggestions regarding painting directly onto marble or covering it over neatly would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
guesta said:
sacrilege some might say, but never the less the current marble isn't my taste.
Since earlier I had a thought whether is might be possible to cover the marble with "fireproof" wood if there is such a thing?

You could try tile paint - its formulated to adhere to very smooth surfaces, so it might work. Of course, it may not be heat resistant. I would try it first by painting a tile, and leaving it next to the fire at the same distance as the surround - otherwise you might find your handywork yellowing or peeling.
As far as cladding it, I have seen fire surrounds made of wood, so depending on the distance from the hearth, you might be alright. You could use plasterboard with a fire-retardant rating if you're concerned, and then paint that with radiator paint (which is designed to be heat resistant). That way, if the marble fireplace is an original feature, you could restore it to its earlier state when you wish to sell (it may not be your taste, but if it matches the property, it will help increase its appeal and value)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back