Painting a newly plastered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A brick wall was plastered last year. I wish now to paint it with Santex masonary paint. Do I / or can I coat the wall with a stabilising solution before painting it (and would you advise 2 coats of paint - as I need access next door to do this I want to get it right - early answer would be very welcome now that the weather is improving. Many thanks jnscts

Sponsored Links
No.

Apply mist coats (I prefer two) of the masonry paint thinned with water. They will soak into the surface and disappear almost immediately. You will know when you have killed the suction because it will no longer suck the paint off your brush. After that you can apply the unthinned paint. It will look and last better with two coats.

Use a mixing tool in a hand drill because it must be stirred very thoroughly.

Thanks john - I assume a mist coat is a diluted (watered down coat) and is it 50/50 Are you a
So saying that I will not need to use the paint as a final coat after the watered down coat has dried. Thanks for your rapid response Regards John
Ps I used to be a Fifer many moons ago

The mist coats soak in, so when they are dry (very quick) you apply the unthinned finish paint.

Opinions differ about how much water to add for the mist coats. I like it as thin as milk and it is very fast to apply.

When you get started, you will soon see and feel the difference between a bare wall (paint just gets sucked in and all moisture disappears) and one that is ready for finish coats (paint coats the surface)

Emulsion paint indoors is the same method, on absorbent bare plaster or patches of filler.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your reply - I will try the way you have suggested. I am also pointing some brick work at the moment and reading through the Smiths DIY Manual it suggests a mix of 6 to 1 I tried this the other day and it was far too weak; I tried this with plastering sand and it was a total disaster - any suggestions ( I undestand if you ignore this ? (I did buy the stabilising solution to paint over an original house wall which is a bit crumbly

I have read through some other recommendations on this web site and they all stress that mist coats are to be applied initially - before a good masonary top coat - last question as this is an outside wall what paint can I use as mist coats ? Looking at replies they even mention emulsion paint (indoor or outdoor ?? )

Just thin enough of the masonary paint you are using for the finished job then cracking on with painting as normal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back