Painting Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I normally paint woodwork first let it all dry out, week or so later mask around the woodwork and then emulsion, done it this way for years however...

Livingroom has been completely ripped out and newly plastered walls. The woodwork in not going on until the flooring is laid, before the flooring goes down I'd like to get the mist coat on, and base layer on the walls a ceiling fully done done.

My question tho is...

Leave the walls all white after mist and base layers, put the woodwork on, paint the woodwork, then put the colour on the walls as I normally do?

or

Do all the emulsion colour on the walls, then put the woodwork on, paint the woodwork and then touch up the walls

Sponsored Links
Only a DIY'er, but when I've redone rooms like this I've emulsioned the wall and prefinished (including glossing) the woodwork in batches before fixing. It's so much easier to sand down between layers if it's not on the wall!
Only a bit of touching up is required after fixing. And if caulking is needed on the skirting, mask the walls first, just as if you were painting it.
I hope that makes sense :)

Decorating is my trade and I always do woodwork final coat last. Mind you I never mask up and I'm also on a tight schedule so don't have time to let woodwork dry out.

i always do woodwork last, a tip if its a new wooden floor is to mask the floor were the skirting is going, put skirting on tape, paint skirting, when dry, knife the tape lightly were it meets skirting and take off you'll have a nice neat bottom line. other wise paint room how you feel happy with.

Sponsored Links
I tend to do your first option. Mainly because any caulk required on the architrave also then gets fully undercoated and painted (I actually use everbuild instant nails for both sticking and caulking the trims).

If you are water-based on the trims then you can likely tape it up with yellow frog tape within 2 days and get the walls done. Maybe even next day - try it somewhere inconspicuous like top of a door.

Similar to hants jobber, I tend to use a roll of acetate (like the stuff people put around cakes!) under the skirting on wooden floors. You can then cut the paint join with a knife and slide the plastic out once it is dry.

I have so many issue about painting could anyone suggest me a best home painter company in Calgary? I want to update my interior and exterior of the house with the good combination of the paints

I have so many issue about painting could anyone suggest me a best home painter company in Calgary? I want to update my interior and exterior of the house with the good combination of the paints
Are you in Monday about 10am? I'll pop over and take a look!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back