painting and Decorating using oil based white gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have any other decorators had problems with white oil based gloss?
I have used johnstones for many years but have noticed that this is now turning yellow very fast! have changed brands to permoglaze but this seems to look quite grey by comparison but it does not seem to yellow.
Has anyone tried any other brands?
I do use acrylic gloss on occasion but not too happy with the finish on large flat areas.
any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This has been an issue with most solvent based paints since ''2010 VOC ready'' came in. i.e dulux have to reduce solvents in the paint and this means the vegatable oils take much longer to dry and of course veg oil yellows badly. They seem to have tried overcoming yellowing by tinting the bril/white a shade of grey/blue similar to what they call non yellowing radiator paint, but take much longer to dry :evil:
I turned away from the trade gloss and had to eat my words when I discoverd 'solo gloss' didnt go yellow and dried in reasonable time~~ I dont rate the waerbased. ok might be my technique needs addressing but trade is treble the price and wont last anything like solvent based. Dammned if I'm goin to pay treble price for w/based and have to add owetrol @£15 per500ml to make the paint run smooth.

So they save carbon emission in manufacture but treble the carbon emission of the end user~~ mental :confused:

Thanks for the tip jondecs, is this crown solo you refer to? because this problem has been driving me mad! my suppliers answer is just to say that "water based is the future" im going to stock up on solo :LOL:
thanks for the info i appreciate you taking the time.

Dammned if I'm goin to pay treble price for w/based and have to add owetrol @£15 per500ml to make the paint run smooth.

I agree.

BtW don't you mean Floetrol rather than Owatrol.

To be fair Floetrol goes a long way but regardless of technique, waterbased is inferior wrt tramelines, coverage and colour obliteration.

The biggest joke is waterbased finishes over waterbased primers, so wait for the grain to rise after priming, sand it back, then wait for the WB eggshell to swell it again, then forget about being able to sand that flat for weeks.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the reply, i have been using permoglaze white oil based gloss, it seems not to yellow :) it turns a sort of pearly grey which i find more acceptable.

Thanks for the heads up- I will try it at some point.

I have been exclusively dulux trade for years but (for reasons beyond thier control) I am increasingly unhappy.

Post 2010 voc I do use terebene driers which give the paint a slightly blue tinge. Not sure if it helps re the yellowing.

Cheers

The reduction in VOCs is not simply about carbon emissions. It's about cancer. VOCs are carcinogenic.

The reduction in VOCs is not simply about carbon emissions. It's about cancer. VOCs are carcinogenic.

Oh no they added that now >>>bangs head on desk :rolleyes:

I am having to go back to a job I did July 2010 I will take some pics to show the extent of the yellowing that has occured. Where a dressing table has stood the b/w gloss has gone almost brown etc.
If we have to redec more surely that cancels any initial savings in co2 emissions :confused:

I am asured by Dulux that The standard high Gloss has been 'improved' and to look out for tins with BLUE lid ~~ :rolleyes:

VOCs are present in most organic based products, eg. furniture, perfumes, cleaning products, printer paper.

So we reduce the solvents (and thus VOCs) and increase the solids (and thus free radicals?). If we have to redecorate ever two years rather than every 8 then have we really reduced VOCs? We have certainly increased CO2 emissions.

Ironically I now use more two pack spray than ever before due to yellowing. Acid cat is far higher in VOCs and other nasties. Additionally I use more high VOC paint additives than previously.

Personally I think the EU should have allowed the trade paints to remain untouched but licenced their use or increased the taxes, thereby making low VOC paints preferable to the diy market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back