Painting asbestos roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my house has old roof tiles made with asbestos in them, they are starting to get a bit faded, can anyone recommend a black paint I could paint them with to freshen them up?

I read on the thread linked below that painting asbestos might not be a good idea as the paint will then contain asbestos fibers which might be a health risk, although that thread is for asbestos indoors, so it might not be as risky to do it outdoors.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/painting-asbestos.341354/#post-2555589

Here is a picture of the roof:

View media item 104635

Sponsored Links
Leave them well alone.

If you start messing about with those you will have a major job to maintain forever.

Leave them well alone.

If you start messing about with those you will have a major job to maintain forever.

Really? You don't think there is some kind of paint I could slap on?

They are starting to look a bit dull. They are due to be replaced in the next 5 years or so with non-asbestos tiles, just want to make it look better in the meantime.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a "bad idea". If you're going to camber over the tiles to brush paint them, then you are probably going to disturb the asbestos fibres which you could inhale and could float down into your house. You're better off leaving them be, or better still have them removed by an experienced contractor and replace them with slate if you want the same appearance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back