Painting bathroom ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Everyone seems to have a different way of doing this, someone clarify for me pretty please!
I have just plastered over artex on my bathroom ceiling and now need to paint it white. I need to do a bit of filling as it was my first time plastering the finish isnt as perfect as I would have liked. So..

How long after plastering should I leave it before I paint?

What prep should I do to the surface before applying emulsion?

Can I sand over any filling I do or over any other inperfections to the plaster?

Should I use any specific paint?

Many Thanks!

Sponsored Links
When the skim becomes a light shade of pink and any dark patches have disappeared your skim should be dry.

Fill any areas that you think need it and when dry sand them smooth, apply a mist coat of matt emulsion (thinned coat) and when dry you will be fine to continue.

Dec

As the Dec says but sometimes , better to apply a mist coat before any filling. This will highlight where needs to be filled. As the plaster is very abscorbant after it has dried it can suck the moisture out of the filler. The mist coat will stop this.

Sponsored Links
Tou will find that most plasterers recommend you leave the plaster skim at least 7-10 days after it has gone light pink as even though it appears dry after a couple of days it still takes a while longer to fully cure.

It generally turns out fine though if you paint it sooner and filling after mist coating is by far the better option.

Bathroom ceilings get wet - so use an oil based paint that won't flake off.

if i wanted to get a more of a silk finish, what paint would you reccomend? Done one mist coat with a brush and one normal with matt emulsion so far.

I used satinwood (oil based) on mine - been fine for 10 years. It used to peel like mad when I used water based stuff.

Gamp,

Go for a tade quality Vinyl Silk, Dulux, Leyland, or Johnstones any of those would be fine.

Dec

Ok, I'm in the same boat - got my ceiling skimmed and now needs to be painted. I looked through many boards and I cannot get to a conclusion..

Apparently there are 2 approaches:

First one being to apply a thin coat of emulsion straight onto the dry plaster and then paint it with emulsion/bathroom emulsion as you would normally do.

Second approach is to paint the dry plaster with an oil based primer followed by ???? can I use bathroom emulsion on top of oil based primer?

So, what are the pros and cons of each of the approaches? I heard that oil primer will stop any future flaking but as the same time does block moisture/air circulation through the ceiling??

Both will work if done correctly. Option one is the most popular.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back