Painting 'cardboard' wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! We're redecorating our entrance hall and while removing the wallpaper off one of the walls we noticed that it was some sort of cardboard instead of plaster. The idea is to paint this wall but I'm not sure how I'm going to do that now. Should I plaster it first (not sure if it's possible because of said cardboard)? Or should I remove the whole thing and then plaster it? I'm not sure what's actually underneath. Any help is appreciated!
https://imgur.com/a/JPU31ke

Sponsored Links
it's plasterboard.
Thanks! Would you recommend replacing it with new plasterboard and then skim it? Not sure why the previous owner put wallpaper instead...I wonder if that's common...

A lot of people like wallpaper and as such put wall paper on plasterboard, I had to remove lots of wallpaper when I moved into my house and repair the plasterboard. Thankfully I used a good steamer and the wallpaper came off with not to much damage, I just used standard filler to sort any dents then sanded down and painted.

Sponsored Links
I'd prefer it taped and skimmed. Ask around for a recommended plasterer who will advise. Otherwise, paint it with vinyl or acrylic paint so that future wallpaper can be stripped off without damaging the surface much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back