Painting coach bolts to prevent rusting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
External-grade coach bolts are pretty expensive. I was wondering why I can't just use cheaper rust-prone coach bolts, and paint them after tightening into place? In the unlikely event of having to remove them, I suppose paint stripper could be used to enable loosening of the bolt?

They're for holding newel posts in place on a timber deck.

Sponsored Links
Exterior grade ones are cheaper in the long run than dealing with rusted in ones.

You could perhaps coat them with this. It is much better than Waxoyl. If you put the bolts in dry, enough moisture will get at them to cause rusting in the end.

If i'm honest then i'm a bit surprised by your question... if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing right... and buying cheaper bolts, and then going to have to buy a tin of xdw22-oilwax at £50 a tin seems a bit odd to me.

Price up the job using the proper kit, and if it's not financially viable now, save up a bit?

However, that said, i have used hammerite on a few fixings in the past, plus DW40 applied regularly (if you can be bothered) is quite good.

PS - i'm not a pro, i'm a diy'er too! Good luck.

By external grade I assume you mean the green coated ones or stainless? Yes these are expensive but standard zinc plated or galvanised ones aren't, and these take many many years to rust through. Anything M10 upwards would more likely outlive the deck itself. I know the M8's on my fence lasted over 20, and were still doing their job when they were taken out despite being rusted up.

Sponsored Links
If i'm honest then i'm a bit surprised by your question... if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing right... and buying cheaper bolts, and then going to have to buy a tin of xdw22-oilwax at £50 a tin seems a bit odd to me.

Price up the job using the proper kit, and if it's not financially viable now, save up a bit?

It is financially viable, but I just don't know whether it's sensible. I don't see the advantage of those more expensive bolts if paint or some sort of waxy oil is a cheaper alternative. I've not heard of xdw22 before, but if, as Deluks suggests, the bolts are going to outlive the deck even if they do rust up, a cheaper alternative such as Waxoyl might be a smarter choice?

It is financially viable, but I just don't know whether it's sensible. I don't see the advantage of those more expensive bolts if paint or some sort of waxy oil is a cheaper alternative. I've not heard of xdw22 before, but if, as Deluks suggests, the bolts are going to outlive the deck even if they do rust up, a cheaper alternative such as Waxoyl might be a smarter choice?

Hi, my opinion is to go for the best kit you can afford... you're trying to make do, which is fine, but you have to make compromises... and although cheaper at the ouset, these companies know the science... sorry xdw22 was a bit of a joke,,, spend a few quid on decent bolts just so they dont have to be thought about ever again.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back