Painting direct onto plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this has been asked before but I'm still not too sure?

I'm going to put up a small amount of plasterboard in the kitchen (only 2 sheets of 240x120) basically to cover up an uneven wall which occasionally gets a little damp at the bottom however, when the weather improves I shall try to rectify the damp.

Given it's a kitchen I was going to use some of that moisture "resistant" plasterboard from either Wickes or B&Q. It's a bluish colour one side and a light brownish on the other - on that side it I think it says plaster the other side.

I don't really want to go to the expense of plastering especially when the boards will be hidden behind appliances and or cupboards and therefore just want to emulsion straight on the boards.

Firstly, if I use the moisture resistant plasterboard which side should face outwards or if you like which side will face the external wall, given that I just want to paint direct onto the plasterboard?

Secondly, if I don't just use normal plasterboard and again paint direct without plastering which side should face outwards - Ivory, Brown, White?

Thirdly, when painting direct onto either type of board what is the most cost effective preparation? A weakened emulsion mix or say an oil based undercoat?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer?

Sponsored Links
I painted on to (normal) plasterboard before. We just gave it a mist coat (emulsion thinned with water) and then a top coat of emulsion. Turned out fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back