Painting/Distressing Pine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. We are currently in the process of moving into our first house. Our bedroom furniture is a mixture of hand me down and second-hand pine. Now it is all very nice, but..

A) It all doesn't match (some is yellowish varnish, other is natural, other is light stained)

B) Overall it could do with being a bit lighter.

How easy would it be to get it all looking kind of whitewash / distressed white antique painted?

Is there a method that can go over different finishes? Will I have to sand the whole lot first? Do I need special Paint? Do I need to Varnish the furniture once I have painted/stained it?

I'm not bothered about getting the exact match on everything - just something that looks good, and 'goes' together.

Thanks for any help, Chris.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo yeahdisc and welcome :LOL: :LOL:

several points here
all furniture aint always what it seems

you pine could be printed paper or formica or plastic covering mdf chipboard

it could be waxed or stained or varnished or naturaly aged

you cant realy reasonably stain or colour formica ,plastic,or paper
so you realy need to find what they are made off before you know how to treat them

now if your shure they are all "natural " wood your best option in my opinion is to aim for one off the darker units and aim for that coulour
after a couple off years any pine in the sun untouched will be antique
light pine is short lived especialy if you coat it
yellowing is caused by oil based varnishes and treatments

Sponsored Links
If its real pine youl need to give it a good sanding,..in the direction of the grain,..then you could try a coat of thinned out Acrylic primer..put it on thinly then when its dry rub it down around the edges and raised bits to remove some of it...then varnish over with water based varnish to protect it and even out the sheen..water based is better as it doent yellow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back