painting door edges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, could you help with a question please?
I'm painting an external door, grey on the outside, white on the inside. OK, now I'm wondering about the edges. I thought maybe there is a convention? E.g. paint the edges the same colour as the side towards which the door opens. This door opens inwards, so that would mean painting them white. However googling around I'm seeing more than one site suggesting the edges should be the same colour as the side you're looking at. What they mean is if you stand outside and half-open the door, it opens away from you, you see the hinge edge, and that should be grey. Standing inside if you half-open the door, it opens towards you, you see the latch edge and that should be white. Not sure if this is a Yank thing? What would people on here suggest? I sort of guess the part of the door frame which directly faces / touches the edge should be the same colour as the door edge facing / touching it?
TIA, regards, Terry.

Sponsored Links
External door opening inwards- grey on hinge edge. white on latch edge. - see what others say;)

Sponsored Links
Many thanks chaps.
Ah, so what about the frame? is the part of the frame where the hinges are fastened to also grey, and the part of the frame where the latch etc. go into white, to be the same as the edge of the door nearest to them? Or would they be white? TIA, regards, Terry.

As a rule of thumb open the door, the outside and what faces you with the door and frame is painted same colour as front of door,
The reverse is the same for the inside of the door and frame.

Thanks Bosswhite. Not sure I've understood regarding the frame though. The frame has a side panel which the hinges are screwed into (in my case on the left as you stand outside looking at the doorway) and opposite that a side panel with holes for the latches to go into (on the left) Also of course a bit across the top. Obviously the parts of the profile outside are grey and those inside are white, I'm just not sure about the bits the door actually sits in or is (just about) touching. I'll see if I can get a picture or diagram posted:) cos I'm not explaining myself very well! Regards, Terry

If your casing is painted white and is staying white, the side that the door hinges on would stay white also. If the casing is going to be painted grey also on the outside, yes you would also paint the side the hinges are on.

Thank you very much chaps.
Can't see how to mark this as solved / thanked.
I'll have a got as soon as it stops looking like rain!
Regards, Terry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back