Painting drywall joint cement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This Easy Sand joint filler is necessarily as soft as chalk. It absorbs the emulsion and becomes even softer.

Very occasionally tiny bubbles form. Also it can tear if I make the mistake of re-rolling over a still soft part.

This has happened with Gyproc and Knauf. There is a primer available but this is only supposed to even out the suction.

I find a well thinned initial coat of emulsion dries quicker and helps.

Maybe I should try the correct primer again. It's like thin acrylic varnish from what I remember and though it will still dissolve the Joint Filler at least it should dry faster.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

Sponsored Links
Your probably thinking of zinnser gardz. Never experienced the problems you've had and i've painted alot of drywall. You need to leave it to dry thoroughly, could be your applying it too thick, mixing it to sloppy or too thickly. You should always prime with thinned emulsion anyway as the filler is more porous than the plasterboard and will suck the moisture out of paint so a thinned coat evens out the porousity.

Zinsser do specific drywall primers as well, but the gardz should sort you out

It's a common problem and I found the best solution was diluted 5:1 PVA. Yes I know that PVA and paint are usually a disaster - but not in this case. It soaks in and hardens the surface. It doesn't go shiny.

Yes. Thanks Joe. PVA. Good idea.

Amazing how experiences of the same issue, both no doubt valid opinions, can vary - from 'never experienced the problem' to 'it's a common problem'.

Thank you both for your help.

Sponsored Links
Thinking about it all the drywall stuff i did was abroad so having never done it in this country its probably the crappy weather that i hadn't considered. Glad you've got a couple of options

Thinking about it all the drywall stuff i did was abroad so having never done it in this country its probably the crappy weather that i hadn't considered. Glad you've got a couple of options

Good point. The house where I'm presently experiencing the problem is unheated and I don't have to describe the Brithish weather.

Will try the PVA option first - perhaps the cheapest and most readily available - and let you know.

Good point. The house where I'm presently experiencing the problem is unheated and I don't have to describe the Brithish weather.

Will try the PVA option first - perhaps the cheapest and most readily available - and let you know.

The PVA worked well. Did 7 ceilings with it. It also makes the emulsioning easier as the Easy Sand filler is less inclined to soak up the paint like a sponge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back