Improving my 'skimming'

how bout one that cant bend his elbow mate :mrgreen: hahaha
:LOL: yep a spread who cant bend his elbow is no good either but ide rather be that than a spread who never got to master the twitcher, i would have given up ages ago b4 any of my ailments if i couldent twitch angles, hows your shoulder? :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
After googling the name I discovered I actually bought a couple of these in a pack (only very cheap ones) a while ago. Will dig them out lol.

Are they called a 'twitcher' for any reason? Is it the action you have to do or something?

Is there a special way to use these or is it just a thing or going up and down the corners with it?

Any tips welcomed :)

Also I've noticed they do adjustable agled ones - are these better?

Might end up buying a decent on e you see if these cheap ones are pants.

Ta.

After googling the name I discovered I actually bought a couple of these in a pack (only very cheap ones) a while ago. Will dig them out lol.

Are they called a 'twitcher' for any reason? Is it the action you have to do or something?

Is there a special way to use these or is it just a thing or going up and down the corners with it?

Any tips welcomed :)

Also I've noticed they do adjustable agled ones - are these better?

Might end up buying a decent on e you see if these cheap ones are pants.

Ta.
its just a matter of practice hold the twitcher at an angle and run it down the walls add a little plaster to the tip of the nose this will help it run smoothly and fill out any hollows in the angle, but if you dont get good results with it dont give up keep plugging away with it practice makes perfect being able to use a twitcher will enable you to do small rooms or hallways in one hit, it took me a while to get the hang of it, i have a vid of me using one done a few years ago but some people on here dont like seeing vids or pics so i wont show it,
im not sure why its called a twitcher thats a good question perhaps somebody else knows

Cheers Steve.

I did a bit more today and improved my game I think - So thanks for all the input peeps!

I started a larger room and did a larger wall (2.5m) and a couple of walls right next to the chimnet breast.

Put it on thinner this time and the difference shows. Only did one coat this time as the first coat came off so well and didn't want to ruin it.

One mistake I did was I had a bit of mix left over so did a small side wall - I know I shouldn't do adjacent ones but thought I'd give it a go.

Eventually got it ok, but needed a really steady hand to tidy up the joining edges.

Tried the 'twitcher' - Hadn't read your advice on this so just dragged it down the corner - Pulling off some of the plaster :(
I quickly put it down, but not I know the technique, will try again tomorrow.

Oh and finally I've discovered the wet brush - How did I live without it. It don't half tidy those edges up! I'm converted now :)

Thanks again for everyones input.

Sponsored Links
Put it on thinner this time and the difference shows. Only did one coat this time as the first coat came off so well and didn't want to ruin it.

One mistake I did was I had a bit of mix left over so did a small side wall - I know I shouldn't do adjacent ones but thought I'd give it a go.

Eventually got it ok, but needed a really steady hand to tidy up the joining edges.

Tried the 'twitcher' - Hadn't read your advice on this so just dragged it down the corner - Pulling off some of the plaster :(
I quickly put it down, but not I know the technique, will try again tomorrow.
dont think that thinner coat is better its not, also i once heard the term one coating called bumping,"CHEATING" all you have done by doing one coat is cheated yourself out of a 2 coat thickness, also well done for giving the twitcher a go have another try tomorrow if it dont work use your brush, but try the twitcher first on every angle you do after you have done so many the knack will just come to you it wont take long

Update:

Cheers Steve, when I said thinner though I meant thinner than I had been doing (was laying on too thick to begin with).

I have made a few 'adjustments' to how I do it now -

I now only mix 1 normal bucket at a time 1/2 water 1/2 mf. (thanks to Prenticeboyofderry for this).

I find I'm not rushing as much now as I know I can get it all on in time without it going off. Before I was putting 8-12Litres of water and mixing in a builders bucket so it was pretty much full (for the bigger walls).

This in itself has helped a lot.

One question though. As the 2nd room I did , I only did one coat - can you stick a 2nd coat on after a few days or do you have to wait the whole week for it to totally dry?

I've just done the box room ceiling and for some reason that seemed easier than I was expecting - But I know things will change when I get to bigger rooms (not looking forward to that, I tell you ).

Thakns again all for advice, it really is appreciated!

nothing wrong with my twitching mate infact i prefer to twitch a corner than to do 2 dry corners dnt know why but i feel you get a beter finish with a nice wet corner, my sholders been fine mate haha cheekey sod. although i did rip my hand open today was holding the small tool and as i was bringing it up to cut some snots back accidentally caught it on the door frame and the square end ripped the middle of my hand open :cry: bad times.
its called a twitcher cos thats what you have to say as your running it down the corner "twitcher twitcher twitcher" and such forth :mrgreen: .
and the adjustable ones that you only just discovered.....i sent you a link for one in a previous post haha ;)

you can skim onto that one coat again but youll proberly have to pva it and then give it a 2 coat skim mate if you judt skim anouther coat on it all you have is 2 layers of one coat not a 2 coat skim.
wen i forst got my twitcher i ever so slightly bent the wings in a bit and i cut the corners off it with snips i think just to stop it from digging in but that was many many many moons ago.

when you use your twitcher try not to just slap it into the corner and expect it to do the work try and tilt it forward (to the point) just a nats co*k so the back doesnt drag.
i tend to flatten it all in then use the twitcher and take the lines out with my trowel straight away after, get perfect corners everytime

nothing wrong with my twitching
i never meant your twitching all i meant to say and express was that any spread who cant use a twitcher is cr@p , and i meant i would rather be a spread with a bad arm than somone who has never been able to use one, and your right you do get better corners twitching than doing opposite walls :cool:

nothing wrong with my twitching
i never meant your twitching all i meant to say and express was that any spread who cant use a twitcher is cr@p , and i meant i would rather be a spread with a bad arm than somone who has never been able to use one, and your right you do get better corners twitching than doing opposite walls :cool:

I think using a twitcher is part of the trade - you can't alwyas to dry angles and why go room to room when you can throw on all four wall together using a twitcher ?

I've also heard it called a 'toucher' (as in 'touch')
and a 'guzinta' ( It 'goes into' the angle) with a 'guzonta' being an external angle tool!

haha i know you diddnt mean anything mate just pulling ya leg i usually try to get as many corners twitched as i can the house im on at the moment is diamond for then 4 bed house complete reskim and every room has a chimney breast in coupled with a big window and the angles in the loft are emense.
hopefully be finished there soon mabey this week with any luck ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back