Painting exterior cement

D

DonSolaris

I've stripped old paint from a cement wall and am considering my options for repainting it. It was painted in *many* coats of ordinary gloss but some of them had shrunk and cracked by the weather so it wouldn't have looked pretty to just repaint. I do like the gloss look, but am worried that it might shrink and crack again. I get the impression that gloss paint isn't really designed to be used on flat walls that bare the direct sun of summer and the ice of winter?

I've used Dulux Weathershield out the back for years and it's great stuff, though matt finished.

However, after looking though various websites, I can't find any official way to paint gloss on masonry. All the undercoats/primers only say to use them on metal or wood, so what would the right way to paint gloss be? Or should I avoid it? I notice some houses near me have the same problem or shrunken and cracked gloss on their walls.

I did consider Dulux gloss masonry paint, but it only seems to come in black or white, and would cost me the best part of £50 for a 5L tin ordered in from a Dulux Centre miles away, whereas normal Santex masonry paint is closer to £20 off the shelf of a shop around the corner. Even normal gloss is much cheaper.

So, what should I do and what are my options for painting over it later on? If I use Santex now and in a few years decide I want gloss, do I just clean it and paint over or would I need an undercoat? Or if I paint in gloss now and want to change to Sandtex later, what would I have to do to do a good job?

Sponsored Links
Id forget the gloss look it'd need a lot of prep & maintainance, even then I doubt it would last long.
Nicest finish would be Dulux Weathershield or Crown Stronghold smooth masonry paint

Dulux All Seasons Weathershield is probably the best option for you. Its pliolite based, like oil based, and has a nice sheen when coated up. Rain proof in 15-20 minutes, you can even use it as an undercoat for the gloss on the woodwork. Great stuff.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I don't think I'll bother with gloss now, so I''l see how easy it is to find the Dulux All Seasons paint. Does it look much different to Weathershield emulsion, and can I paint over it with water based paints like Weathershield later on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back