painting exterior windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have had conflicting advise about how to repaint my exterior windows i have been told to remove and sand down flakey paint then only use undercoat then a top coat of gloss i have asked if priming the sanded surfaces is necessary and been told no as it was already primed some timber ie the sills i have completeley sanded back i am also getting a painter in to do all the high timber eaves etc etc and want the job done correctly so primer or no primer? cheers

Sponsored Links
Simple rule of thumb...if you have bare wood, prime it..if its just existing paint, dont.

But to save messing about with a seprate tin of primer thin some oil based undercoat out by 30% and use that.

From experience id say that most painted use thin undercoat these days and not traditional pink wood primer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back