Painting freshly skimmed walls/ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's an old topic, I know, but I don't want to hijack anybody else's threads.

I've recently had my whole house re-skimmed. Many of the outside walls and all the ceilings have been boarded prior to plastering.

Once dry, our builder/plasterer has recommended to lightly run a dry cloth over the walls to knock off all the water splashes, and then apply a 50:50 mix of cheap emulsion/water. This seems at odds with some of the advice I've been reading elsewhere:

- It seems the general recommendation is to use watered-down Dulux Trade Matt instead of a cheapo B&Q/Homebase emulsion.
- To water-down the first coat by only 20-25%, and not 50%
- Up to three 'primer' coats may be necessary, not one.
- Wiping down the walls before painting may lead to scratching (?).

Your thoughts and advice on this are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
- It seems the general recommendation is to use watered-down Dulux Trade Matt instead of a cheapo B&Q/Homebase emulsion.

They can be better value, but its easy for us in the trade to say that, we get a discount...if your going to end up paying 30+ quid for a 10 litre tub of supermatt you might be better off buying the B and Q stuff.

- To water-down the first coat by only 20-25%, and not 50%

This is going to depend on the brand you buy, some stuff is thicker than others, osme manufacturers give their paints a false body, a paint you might think is think may turn very thin once stirred, id suggest starting at about 20% and increasing the water until it feels right.

Up to three 'primer' coats may be necessary, not one

No.........One 'primer' (mist coat) then fill any irregularities..rub the whole wall down with 100 grade abrasive paper, then re paint twice using the emusion thinned by aobut 15-20%

- Wiping down the walls before painting may lead to scratching (?).

No thats good advice, it will remove any plaster slurry, use a scraper too..but not abrasive paper.

If the walls are deep plaster youll need to use contract matt to allow them to breath whie the plaster is drying out..if its just a skim then any vinyl or non vinyl emulsion will do ya.

Thanks for that.

There's only deep plaster in a couple of areas, and they're finally starting to dry out nicely.

We'll be painting the dry areas first, ultimately with a silk emulsion.
I take it from your comments it doesn't matter if the base coats are silk or matt?
And I trust there's no difference for kitchens or bathrooms?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I should have made that part clearer...DONT use silk for your base/mist/primer coat...stick to matt its easier to rub down and fill over.

Id also suggest matt on new plaster walls..silk will show up every deviation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back