Painting Galvanised Steel Brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had steel brackets recently galvanised and now plan to paint them.

What is the best way to do this ? I planned to use a Hammerite primer for galvanised coatings followed by a Hammerite Smooth Coat.

Any advice / experience would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
New galavanising should really have a coat of Mordant mixture on it first prior to primer coat , or Calcium plumbate.

Agree with robbie, Though I have found the zinnser 123 works on galvanising.

good luck

Sponsored Links
Unless the galvanising has aged in the weather for about 12 months it will try and throw any paint off that is applied. If you use the Mordant mixture or calcium plumbate, thye are etch primers which will not affect the protecting properties of the galvanising but allow subsequent coats of paint to be applied without them coming off.

T Wash..isnt tha the stuff that sends it black first?..thats good

Can you still get Plumbate?..I thought Zinc Phosphate took over from it years back..

I have odne farrrr to much of that as an apprentice to ever want to see the poxy stuff ever again!!!

T Wash..isnt tha the stuff that sends it black first?..thats good

Can you still get Plumbate?..I thought Zinc Phosphate took over from it years back..

I have odne farrrr to much of that as an apprentice to ever want to see the poxy stuff ever again!!!

Yeah calcium plumbate duhh, remember as a boy on top shift, 13th floor, wiping and scraping ice off before plumbatin poxy crittal windows. Just why they didn't coat em in factory I nver found out :confused: Happy daze lol

That dont say much for your painting Jon...apparently the building had to be demilished because the windows were all rusting and it caused a structural weakness beyond repair!! lol

I have had some of that though...back in 79..in a garage under a block of lats..in near darness, degreasing them with turps drying them and plumbating..

Is it something about plumbate that it has to be applied in freezing condititions in near darness by apprentices only?????????? :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back