Painting galvanized metal roof

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all

I have a large garage roofed with corrugated galvanized metal sheets with four plastic corrugated roof lights.

As some of the metal sheets were showing rust, I had it painted about four years ago. Following a power wash the painter used a coat of ZINNSER 1-2-3 primer followed by two coats of grey Johnstone Agricultural Oxide.

The grey paint has faded considerably over the four years and the rust has reappeared. (the plastic sheets have fared better with no chipping or wear other than fading)

i am about to have the roof repainted and am looking for advice as to what materials to use. As rust is showing, should it be re-primed. If so which primer would be best? I would also like to get your advice as to which brand/type of paint to use as a top coat (and do I need two coats?)

Any other relevant advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Martin

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back