Painting Hardwood Exterior Gallow Brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Goodmorning,
I have just had a new bay window fitted with hardwood gallows brackets which i want to paint white,
Please can you tell me what i have to do to prepare them for a white top coat of satin paint. Do i need to prime and undercoat? What type and colours should i use please?

Many Thanks
Lolly

Sponsored Links
You need to apply a coat of aluminium wood primer first because its hardwood.
Many paint companies satin finishes are not suitable for exterior use so my choice would be sikkens RUBBOL satura, be careful not to get the BL satura as its for internal use only.
Also be careful of the temperature as its not a good time of year to be applying exterior coatings, the paint will go flat if you apply apply it in this weather, hard wood will be fine if left until spring, all you'll need to do is just give the timber a quick clean and rub down before painting

Hi,
Thanks so much for your reply. Glad i can leave until spring as i want to do it properly :)
I will take a look at the Sikkens products.
Again, Many Thanks
Lorraine :)

Lorraine,

Firstly you are wise to accept the very good advice offered to you by dcdec, with regard to the painting of hardwoods or highly resinous softwoods, it really is an absolute must to first apply the Aluminium Primer. Dont forget that when the primer has cured and working with the grain of the timber lightly sand and dust off prior to the application of your finish coats.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks again for the extra advice, i thought i would have to lightly sand to take out the impurities that rise to the surface :) .
I think i will also mask up my brickwork in case of any slipups with the brush :)

Many Thanks
Lorraine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back