Painting Kitchen units...

Sponsored Links
The trouble is that the customer is a cheapskate.

I'd say oil based crown solo satin as long as it isn't white. Used in the GF kitchen and really looks good.

The trouble is that the customer is a cheapskate.

I'd say oil based crown solo satin as long as it isn't white. Used in the GF kitchen and really looks good.

Good point, spraying, potentially, is the most/more expensive option

Not sure that joe-90's comment about my clients being cheapskates is entirely fair - I think I said that they want to keep the price down, which to me is different.

Anyway, dcdec, what can you tell me about sikkens BL satura then...?

My cheapskate clients want me to do the work, despite me pointing them towards pukka kitchen painters and sprayers - they are saying that they both know and trust me, they like work that they have seen of mine and that I am the most handsome beast in the south of England - well, I think that is what they said.....
They also want me to paint it by hand - a few brush marks are not a problem they say !

So, back to my first questions - if you were painting a kitchen by hand what would you do - I am going to be cleaning it all down with Krud Kutter as I hear good things about it, and priming with Zinsser 123 unless someone can give me a better alternative, and any paint used has to be water based.

A couple of questions -
Can Farrow and Ball be mixed to any colour you want (I want a very pale yellow/white), and just how tough is it ?

Can the Sikkens stuff be tinted - I assume so but just want to check...

Anyone got any helpful input about how to proceed ?

Finally, a quick Thanks to all who have helped here - very much appreciated !

Sponsored Links
hi! just popped by after a long time away from this forum.

I have done quite a few kitchens normally in 2-tone colours .
after a good cleanup/de-grease, I prime with a coat of oil based Zinsser Coverstain (my main goto primer for challenging woodwork painting situations). stinks the house out, but once it dries the smell goes. After sanding with some wet & dry i then go straight in with 2 topcoats of wb eggshell. Normally I use little Little Greene but sometimes F&B.
I often roller flat areas with foam rollers and then lay off with my best Purdys.
Most of my clients are ladies with deadly manicured Tallons but I am yet to find a mark on any of the units I have painted.

That's good to hear Dean - thanks !
Do you have much experience with any other zinsser primers ?
I have never tried the oil based coverstain - is it very different from water based or 123 ?

Seems like Farrow and Ball or Little Green paints are popular choices so I may get a tin to try them out.

Yes steve, i have used the range of zinsser, but i favour coverstain as it sands down beautifully, sticks well, dries fairly quickly, and is really hard wearing. it is a bit of a beast to work with, but it is only one coat.

123 is a mental good product too and easier to lay on but for me not as hard wearing on units.

with F&B you have a relatively small range of colours.
a little greene stockist with a mixing machine has much more choice.

Do you thin it at all to give easier flow? I know the info sheet says not to.

No I have not tried thinning coverstain. Have sometimes felt like doing so but have always been reluctant because of the small print. anyone else tried?
I love the stuff so much though that I can put up with the downsides.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back