Painting laminate flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.....

Seriously considering doing this but want to try and get pros and cons from people with experience of this before committing....

There's a couple of old threads on here that came up but not much detail in them and I'd imagine that there's more choice of products to accomplish this now.

It's old laminated flooring that pre-dates click together planks. No bevelling around the edges so with glued joints the whole floor is pretty much seamless with no gaps and no texture. Surface of the floor is horrid fake woodgrain print in a vommit orange colour. I'm thinking have a stab at painting it as worst thing that can happen is I have to replace it (no biggy but just want a quick room makeover if possible).

Interested to hear your comments. What to avoid? How to prepare? Best products to use? I am more time sensitive than cost sensitive (hence why I don't want to be pulling skirting off and replacing if I can help it) and looking for most durable finish. It's a bedroom, no shoes worn in the house and no furniture dragging around in this room. Just needs a quick hoover now and again, mopping not required.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All I can say is to use floor paint. Don’t use anything else.
At work we use a water based paint on most of our (concrete) floors but also wooden ones.
Harder work areas have acrylic
CooVar brand

Sponsored Links
So it was done to seal the gaps between the boards rather than change the appearance?

A clear coat increases the shine as on cars. Water proofing benefits cleaning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back