Painting matt over silk vinal on walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What Is there a better way to paint Matt emulsion (Magnolia) over Silk Vinal deep blue and deep pink and red walls, at the moment it is proving extremely difficult to paint with emulsion over this silk vinal layer as the original colout keeps springing up as you run the roller to spread the paint, it seems the roller keeps lifting up the new paint exposing the original colour, unless you went mad with a thick layer of paint, that way I will go bankrupt!

Do I rub the silk vinal first....remember it is a bit like a plastic layer, not easy to rub and will start peeling off, or do i use a steam wallpaper remover and get rid of this Silk vinal Layer?

Thank you in advance for any constructive replies. ( yes definitely painting is no ordinary matter, it is a highly skilled job for the professionals, much harder than installing a gas central heating! )

Sponsored Links
Part of the problem is that it is notoriously hard to cover dark pink and red, whatever the finish - you would not expect to do that with one coat (it takes at least three, usually).

However you're right - silk vinyl needs sanding down first to provide a key for the new paint, otherwise will it will struggle to adhere.

I suggest you wash off any new paint, give the walls a really good rubbing/sanding down, then (to be on the safe side), apply a coat of Zinsser Gardz to provide a stable base for the new emulsion.

Why are you using Magnolia though? All the colours in the universe to choose from and people still go for bloody Magnolia. It should be illegal!

Come on Mike. A buy to let house in London and you plead poverty? ffs :rolleyes:

Part of the problem is that it is notoriously hard to cover dark pink and red, whatever the finish - you would not expect to do that with one coat (it takes at least three, usually).

However you're right - silk vinyl needs sanding down first to provide a key for the new paint, otherwise will it will struggle to adhere.

I suggest you wash off any new paint, give the walls a really good rubbing/sanding down, then (to be on the safe side), apply a coat of Zinsser Gardz to provide a stable base for the new emulsion.

Why are you using Magnolia though? All the colours in the universe to choose from and people still go for bloody Magnolia. It should be illegal!

Excellent mate, Thanks for the tip . I have never heard of Zinsser Gardz, nor do I know where to get any from, so I will ask my local supplier or check if Wickes or B&Q stock it, however, just had a new central heating done and before the rads went up, I had to cover the walls with new paint before the rest of the room could be painted, and that is when I realised what a struggle it was just to cover a small section where the rads were going to be fixed, and that proved much too much hard, hence why I said the whole gas Central Heating went up and running in One and half days from scratch, with laying new pipes anjd making ways for the pipes, lifting up floor boards and drilling holes through walls and joists for the pipe routes. Hanging up the new boiler and the 2 meter route of the flue and 2 90 degree bends, and all connected up and running! sure that must be recored in itself. Yes altogether 2 guys were on .

Whilst i could not even finish painting one room in 2 days, the whole central heating was isntalled and up and running in record one and half days! BTW, the house did not have any wet central heating before and it was heated by Warm Air Unit, which to be honest was really good, it was far more efficient and quickly heated the house, whilst the new one took over an hour to reach comfortable temperature, I really preffered it, but I was advised by lettings agent to get rid of a 25year old Warm Air heating and get a new wet heating system with a combi boiler. that cost me 3k.

It does seem now that the Warm Air Unit was more efficient at heating the rooms quickly than the new wet radiator system. Still it has been left as it is , so in future one can still bring it back into use, If need be.

However, the new gas boiler can be used for supplying hot water.

For Joe, it is not in London, and I have had more problems from tenants in Harlow than from anyone in London, Most London tenants are well behaved and are working professionals or students and not on Benefits.

Sponsored Links
I don't think the sheds stock Zinsser products, they are not really a DIY line. You can get it online though, or from some independent decorators' merchants. This stuff: (and supplier is reputable and good value): http://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/zinsse...5-litre.html?gclid=CMT3-vXq3b0CFaQfwwod9YQAtg

But you still haven't explained why you've gone for magnolia, even if it is a rental property. Gardenia is much nicer, or even brilliant white, if cost is an issue. But not magnolia.

I don't think the sheds stock Zinsser products, they are not really a DIY line. You can get it online though, or from some independent decorators' merchants. This stuff: (and supplier is reputable and good value): http://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/zinsse...5-litre.html?gclid=CMT3-vXq3b0CFaQfwwod9YQAtg

But you still haven't explained why you've gone for magnolia, even if it is a rental property. Gardenia is much nicer, or even brilliant white, if cost is an issue. But not magnolia.

When I was in school, my Physics teacher told me that lighter shades of colours such as White and Magonolia etc were made of all other colours put together, hence these are neuteral colours they would go (match) with most other decors, :LOL:

So magnolia is a Universal Colour! it has all other colours in it, it is matter of extracting what you need out of it by adding your other stuff around it.

(If I were living in the house myself, I will have to match colours to my beddings and other furniture, including curtains and carpets, since this property is let as unfurnished, therefore Magnolia would go with most of tenants belongings, most accept Magnolia but some however will ask me for my permission to paint a colour of their taste, which I have no objection as long as they did it and paid for it themselves, but my last tenant was absolute horrible, disgust, dirty and absolutely filthy, and her choice of colours would make you puke, if they were any good I wouldn't have to paint over them and let it out as it was, my lettings agent advised me to change the colours to neuteral and freshly painted and clean walls as well as steam cleaned carpet would be a welcoming sight for a new tenant, and now it comes with a choice of two different types of heating syetems, Warm Air Heating as well as radiators with a combi boiler! best of both worlds. ;)

But most of all, Magnolia is most widely used colour apart from white emulsion, hence why all major stores sell Magnolia in larger low cost tubs.

When I was in school, my Physics teacher told me that lighter shades of colours such as White and Magonolia etc were made of all other colours put together, hence these are neuteral colours they would go (match) with most other decors, :LOL:

So magnolia is a Universal Colour! it has all other colours in it, it is matter of extracting what you need out of it by adding your other stuff around it.

(If I were living in the house myself, I will have to match colours to my beddings and other furniture, including curtains and carpets, since this property is let as unfurnished, therefore Magnolia would go with most of tenants belongings, most accept Magnolia but some however will ask me for my permission to paint a colour of their taste, which I have no objection as long as they did it and paid for it themselves, but my last tenant was absolute horrible, disgust, dirty and absolutely filthy, and her choice of colours would make you puke, if they were any good I wouldn't have to paint over them and let it out as it was, my lettings agent advised me to change the colours to neuteral and freshly painted and clean walls as well as steam cleaned carpet would be a welcoming sight for a new tenant, and now it comes with a choice of two different types of heating syetems, Warm Air Heating as well as radiators with a combi boiler! best of both worlds. ;)

But most of all, Magnolia is most widely used colour apart from white emulsion, hence why all major stores sell Magnolia in larger low cost tubs.

Your Physics teacher was talking nonsense and you still seem to be missing the point! If you want a colour with every other colour mixed in, go for light diarrhoea brown. No? The term 'universal colour' btw, is meaningless.

I am a landlord as well as a decorator, and I will pass on the following bits of wisdom, free. First, never let your tenants decorate or even suggest colours unless you have set up an AST for at least 7 years.

Next, choose a neutral colour scheme yourself but avoid magnolia. Magnolia screams 'low end rental property'. It is widely used because it is cheap, and tenants know that. If you spend a little more on a better (still neutral) colour, mixed in Dulux or Leyland Trade @ £40 per 5 litres, it will make the property look instantly classier. You won't be able to double the rent or anything, but it will make your property stand out a little from all the other same-old-same-old-magnolia-flavoured flats and houses.

The total cost of the decorating won't be that much more, since the 10 litre tubs of magnolia @ £15 or £20 don't cover as well and you'll need more coats. If you're paying a decorator, it may even be cheaper (fewer coats).

The other reason people go for magnolia is because they lack imagination.

Other suggestions for pale neutrals which go with most furniture/colours:

Dulux Jasmine White, Natural Calico, Timeless
Farrow and Ball Joa's White, Cornforth White (these a=can be mixed in Leyland paint
Little Greene Slaked Lime, China Clay, or Rolling Fog (ditto)
Crown Snowfall (nice for bedrooms)

Your Physics teacher was talking nonsense and you still seem to be missing the point! If you want a colour with every other colour mixed in, go for light diarrhoea brown. No? The term 'universal colour' btw, is meaningless.
)

That brings back a memory. When I was younger and had just brought my first house I tried decorating it on the cheap. At work the stores was having a clear out of all the odds and sods of paint and I avidly picked them up. I mixed up all the emulsion and the result was not quite the diarrhoea brown but a sort of pinkish colour which after putting it on the walls and letting it dry looked pretty much the same colour as bare plaster :oops:
I'm also a landlord and decorated the property myself .I didn't use magnolia for the walls but I did use a magnolia eggshell for doors and skirtings teaming it up with colours such as capacinno , pale greens and blues. The tenant recently asked me if he could redecorate one of the bedrooms. The colour of the walls is now ....magnolia :eek:

Aah! i see now where you are both coming from, generally speaking men have no or very little sense of colour schemes, and are poorest decorators, I am biggest culprit for that and I admit i have no sense of imagination when it comes to decorating a house and furnishings, this special gift is usually pocessed by our female species, men have absolutely no c lue what colour goes with what! it is rarety amongst men, yes some men who may have delved into interior designs may know a bit, but it co0mes naturally to women.

In my other house I have white walls all over and even my door frames and skirtings I painted in undercoat only as I hate gloss finish, so everything looks marble white, i love it, and a red carpet goes very well with it with colour matched furniture, love this all white scheme, and in one room I used half Magnolia and half white to arrive at slightly off white which looks better than Magnolia, I must admit, I think magnolia is slightly too dark and mixing 50% white paint works out even cheaper and it is them a lighter shade of Magnolia or light beinge, my favourite colour.

I used to use Barley White (A magnolia like but in silk vinal) but I am no longer keen on shiney pains including on my doors and architraves, i like everything matt now. but matt is vulnerable to greater degree of getting or picking up dirty marks whereas vinals can be cleaned.

Another one of my favourite colours is Forest Mist and I have several cans of it (Master paints from Wickes)

recently I went to Wilkinsons, they have Dulux 5ltr paints in various colours for under a tenner. I think I will probably pick a few for that price.

Don't talk stupid Mike. All the best artists in history have been male. :rolleyes:

I don't want to get too far off the new topic... but I did successfully get (durable) matt emulsion onto some kind of old bullet proof glossy kitchen/bathroom wall paint by sanding the life out of it (and then of course washing it very well with hot, soapy water). It's a filthy job, seal door gaps and cover your face.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back