painting mdf with oil based

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, many thanks to the people on this site for their advice. I have been building a cabinet to house my boiler in my bathroom and have perused the various threads for all manner of hints. Cheers!

I have painting the mdf with an oil based paint, since I was told it would protect the wood more. The first coat has 'furred up' as I have seen it referred to in one thread. Can I just sand it down and re-coat as you would for an emulsion?

Sponsored Links
What was the first coat, primer, undercoat, eggshell or gloss. It should have been primer in which case sand it with 180grit paper, you will find the cut edges fur up more. Undercoat & eggshell can be sanded after 24hrs but gloss will be a problem as it takes a long time to get hard enough.

If I were doing it then I would use waterbased MDF primer for the first coat then oilbase after that.

Jason

Cheers, you're right, I should have used primer. I put gloss on first, the 'furring' seems to have calmed down as it has dried though, so I think I will just recoat again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back