Painting Metal Garage Door in Oak Colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Our garage door is dark blue in colour.
It is made of steel.
We would like to paint it in Oak Colour.
How can I achieve a medium Oak colour?
What are the steps needed to get a good finish and where can I get this colour exterior paint meant for metallic surfaces.
Ideally we would like to have wood grains/patterns in it.
How do we achieve it?
many thanks
60bowens

Sponsored Links
You're probably better off looking at a vinyl wrap. A decent quality wrap will look better than an attempt to paint a natural oak finish and minor maintenance will see it last a number of years.

You're probably better off looking at a vinyl wrap. A decent quality wrap will look better than an attempt to paint a natural oak finish and minor maintenance will see it last a number of years.
that will cost a lot and i doubt if it will last many years

Plenty of car wraps make 5+ years if looked after. It'll cost less than fannying around trying to (badly) paint wood grain. Best, least labour option is to have a wooden door fitted, if you want to keep the metal door then your options are limited. Depends on your budget. If it's low just paint it a muted solid colour.

Sponsored Links
I've seen very similar things done by some 'old school' pros, but never had the opportunity (or optimism) to attempt such a thing myself.

You won't get a paint product that will give you what you want in one.

You'll need to apply a solid base coat of an exterior paint suitable for metal to the door, in the general oak colour you want to achieve. (Probably a tan/brown in a light/medium/dark shade.)
Once dry, you can use a thin coat of a suitably darker gel stain to cover the whole door and then use a wood-graining tool to achieve the look of timber. This isn't as easy as it sounds, and will take some practice to get an acceptable look, if you've never done it before. When using the tool, use a rocking motion to achieve graining and knot effects, working in the direction you would expect a wooden door to be constructed (panels/rails/stiles), and remove any gel from the tool before moving on. Work quickly, but steadily, otherwise you'll end up with a mess - if you make a mistake when graining, immediately wipe the section off, and apply some fresh gel before continuing. Once you have got the finish you want, allow to dry and coat with either a clear oil based exterior polyurethane (water based may possibly be suitable these days) or some form of clear lacquer.

As already stated, you may end up doing a lot of preparation and work, only to end up with something that doesn't look that good. If you don't like the other options, I suppose it would be worth a go.

I hope it works for you because, even as a decorator of 20+ years, I would prefer to pass this kind of thing onto somebody else.

Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply and tips.
May i also ask the members where I can get viny wraps of size of double garage door?

This place sell to the UK, think they're in Germany. https://www.style-your-garage.com/en/Garage-poster/Motifs-for-single-garages/Vehicles/

Prices seem quite reasonable for a standard door, however, they don't have any wood grain type, you'll see they have some interesting art! It'd be worth emailing them though I'm sure they'd sort it. Otherwise a sign writer or anyone who does vehicle wraps should be able to help - there certainly is wood grain vinyl out there.

Companies that do car wraps can also do a wrap for any surface, its not always in one piece.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back