Painting My Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have just bought a nice new shed for the end of the garden.

It's just a rough sawn lapboard affair from Homebase.

It's been delivered coated in preservative, much like fence panels are when new. My wife would like me to paint it an off white colour rather than the golden yellow it is at the moment.

My question is what paint should I use, and should I prime and undercoat first.

I was thinking about using masonry paint because it'e cheap, they do it in the colour my wife wants, and it'll go on nice and thick with a roller.

Am I wrong to do this, or should I use external paint for wood like Dulux Weatherking?

Thanks for any help,

Al.

Sponsored Links
erm.......

As it is already "sealed" you could buy some Dulux Trade Opaque Aquatech Woodstain. Dulux Trade do it in loads of colours.

However, realy, Dulux Trade Opaque Aquatech Woodstain is meant to be sealed with Dulux Trade Aquatech Sealer.

In other words the gamble is yours whether you seal it or not.

Dear stuff though, but its the best on the market in my opinion.

Tell your wife she can paint it.

This is because, if you go for paint, it will crack, flake and peel, and need doing every year for the rest of your life.

Outdoor softwood joinery swells and shrinks all the time as it is drenched with rain and baked by sun.

If you use a water-based "shed and fence" stain, which leaves a waxy film to repel water, it will be very much less trouble. it will never need sanding down. They are generally available in shed-like colours like brown.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the response.

I'll have to break the news softly that off white is out of the question.

Roll on Forest Oak then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back