painting new concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of painting my new garage floor, the concrete has been down now for 5 months, but no mater how much i sweep it i can't get rid of the dust. would a standard floor paint be ok or do i need to seal it or maybe brush pva glue on it first

any suggestion would be great

Sponsored Links
Just use a proprietary floor paint. Don't use PVA.

I’ve painted a concrete garage floor before and jolly nice it looked to.

I used a garage floor sealant that I bought from a DIY shed and after the correct amount of drying time I applied the garage floor paint paint.

I bought a cheap roller and tray to apply it with and threw them away afterwards. I used my extension arm on the roller, so no back ache. It went on easy and took no time at all. I remember putting on two coats whilst following the manufacturers recommended drying time.

The things to remember are that you have to empty the garage and can’t use it for a couple of days (the drying rime will be on the tin). And I’m sure it geos without saying that you need to sweep the floor, let the dust settle and sweep it again… and do it on a day with little wind because you have to have the doors open because of the fumes and you don’t want leaves blowing on your fresh paint.

It’s an easy job and looks good.

Sponsored Links
Hi andy2626

Get a leaf blower and blow the dust off, your agitating the concrete when you brush it.
There is floor paint out there, but it cost a little more than ordinary paint and it's oil based paint so just put ordinary undercoat on for the first coat and then floor paint for the second, you should save a little money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back