Painting new exterior facings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the facings on my flat roof garage and was going to paint the wood first before fitting them.

Question is should I paint all surfaces of the wood or is it best to leave the underside untreated to allow the wood to breathe/dry out.

Also whats the best primer/topcoat to use?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You need to paint all surfaces, so that the wood is sealed. If you look at my other posts, you will see I like linseed oil paint. The primer is a coat of raw linseed oil. You should let the wood dry to 12% before you paint with anything, or you will have problems you didn't need.

It's expensive to buy, but with a maintenance cycle of 7 years, it's worth the initial cost. It's EASY to put on, you just need to not be in a rush. You will need to do the painting in your garage and warm it up a bit this time of year as it's a bit cool round Aberdeen this time of year. It's really a summertime job.

I've just done the same for a similar job. I had to paint 50 sq ft, did 5 coats over a week, and used 1/2 litre, so it's not that bad. When you consider in 7 years it will only need a coat of oil it's even better, and it flexes as the wood moves so it doesn't crack. The paint doesn't contain solvents either, and easily washes off hands with soap and water. Great :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back