Painting old varnished doors with low VOC paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have been doing a bit of research and all the suggestions I can see for painting old varnished doors are with very high VOC paint. We have our first baby due in about a months time so was wondering if anyone can reccommend some low VOC paint that will give it a good finish?

I appreciate 'back in the day' noone knew or worried about the VOC's in paint but I would like to take the precautionary option and go for the low or minimal VOC stuff.

We used crown non drip quick dry satin on the wardrobes and it needed about 4 coats (2 primer and undercoat in one then 2 normal coats) It looks ok but was on lightly stained wood not full on dark stained doors.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If your painting stained woodwork you will need an adhesion primer first after a good rub down. Zinsser Coverstain, or Zinsser BIN, or 123 are decent ones for this. Then coat up in your chosen water based paint/finish. Water based paints have low voc's and oil based paints have high voc's.

If your painting stained woodwork you will need an adhesion primer first after a good rub down. Zinsser Coverstain, or Zinsser BIN, or 123 are decent ones for this. Then coat up in your chosen water based paint/finish. Water based paints have low voc's and oil based paints have high voc's.
But the zinsser has high vocs..

Sponsored Links
The Coverstain is oil based yes, but other Zinsser sealers are water based., The Coverstain is however the best product for varnished or stained woodwork. The voc's are only there while the paint dries. This would be all dry and safe by the time your baby arrives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back