Painting on bare new plaster board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have drylined internal walls and put up new ceilings to cover up artex. I saw that new board should have a sealer on it to act as a vapour barrier. Unfortunately its not cheap like everything currently. Is this necessary and or is there an alternative. Previously I have just emulsioned straight over the plaster board
Advise appreciated

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I hired plasterer to skim artex textures ceiling few months ago, First coat, I applied diluted emulsion with water 10% then another 2 coats of emulsion.

I waited 3 weeks for skim to dry.

I hired plasterer to skim artex textures ceiling few months ago, First coat, I applied diluted emulsion with water 10% then another 2 coats of emulsion.

I waited 3 weeks for skim to dry.
Thanks but not relevant to my scenario :)

What's the new ceiling made of?

I have done same with plasterboard ceiling in an office.

Sponsored Links
What's the new ceiling made of?

I have done same with plasterboard ceiling in an office.
Plasterboard. I have previously treated it as plaster, mist coat then emulsion but saw on tutorial it should have a sealer / vapour barrier.

Why? Is it a bathroom?

Who made the tutorial?

Don't put glue on it.

My skimmed ceiling was bathroom, I didn't use any sealer just diluted emulsion but used Dulux bathroom paint which is sufficient.

If you have dot&dabbed or screwed over existing walls, why you need a vapour barrier?

Plasterboard is a really good surface to emulsion straight onto.
Although if I've had a wall that has needed a lot of filler/drywall compound, I have used Zinsser Gardz, or Dulux plaster sealer. I find it gives a good surface to paint on, whilst not reactivating the filler.
It is expensive though!

If you need a vcl it's usual to put polythene behind the pb. Carry on with yr mist coats and then emulsion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back