Painting over dark colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'd be grateful for some advice over the best product to use to paint over dark colours (matt emulsion and silk)

Current colour - Black and Dark Blue
Final finish will be Matt Emulsion.

Grateful for specific product suggestions.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I am sure there will be loads on different suggestions on how to do this, almost all of them will work!

However this is what I have done multiple times in the past with good results, mainly over dark purples and blues.

Over Dark Matt Emulsion: 1 coat of MacPhersons Eclipse Brilliant White, 2 Coats of top colour. For top coating I generally use Crown Trade Vinyl Matt, or in high traffic areas MacPhearsons Durable Matt. Other paints are equally good, but I have a local crown decorating centre.

Over Dark Silk: As above, but sand the paint so that it is no longer shiny before starting

Thanks.

Would Dulux Super matt be similar to Macphersons Eclipse?

I was also thinking Zinsser Bullseye 133 (water based one)

Dulux Super Matt is equal to, if not superior, to MacPhearsons Eclipse (my opinion - not a fact!). The key point is that both have excellent opacity so will give a really good covering of white before going to your final colour.

Zinsser Bullseye is also good stuff, but probably not necessary if its a straight change of colour and the wall is in good condition.

Dark walls will cover with good quality standard paint. The Silk needs a bit more work, but a good sand with some 120 grit (just enough to take off the sheen), and its fundamentally the same as painting over Matt.

As with any painting, this is all subject to having done the proper prep (cleaning, sanding, filling, etc)

Sponsored Links
I would advise against using Supermatt or any of the low opacity paints over silk. Although Dallypro is correct about its superior colour obliteration I have seen it craze when used over non-porous services, or when non-porous paints (eg silk or WB eggshell) have been applied over it (when it has been used on a non-porous surface). I'd stick with regular Dulux Trade matt emulsion as the base coat. With a decent roller a couple of coats should suffice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back