Painting over new gloss skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I've been repainting the ensuite and despite the fact I told my wife it was a bad idea, she decided that she wanted the skirting boards painted with gloss. We are using quite a striking colour (bottle green) and it's one of those G&B colours that works better as a matt.

The walls have been done with an endurance matt colour matched to G&B and look great.

The colour matched dark green gloss skirting looks utterly awful, it looks like it should be inside the sort of pub which has a flat roof and a rottweiler on it. It really needs to be satinwood at most.

So I'm going to have to redo it. I can't be arsed to sand down a textured skirting with two new layers of brand new oil-based gloss on it. Can I just go over it with a 'difficult surfaces' primer and then paint over again with a less shiny finishing paint?

Sponsored Links
I'd leave a few weeks to harden off then lights sand for a key then on with the oil satin.

New oil gloss takes an age to harden and its a risk to get on it too quickly. If I was to prep and satin it I'd use coverstain as a primer just because it's good for what you are doing or just get the satin on. Your choice

As above.

New gloss is too soft to do anything with until it hardens.

When it does, a light sand will ensure good adhesion and a nice flat surface to work with.

Concerned sanding will take too long?

Then do it quickly!

Sponsored Links
If you don't leave it too long, you can apply oil based eggshell directly over the top without needing to sand. You have a about 2 weeks before the gloss needs a key.

If you decide to apply a WB finish over it then you will need a key, be it sanding or an appropriate primer.

Another alternative, and not one that I necessarily recommend is to add some OB based dead flat varnish to the gloss and hope that when you apply another coat you end up with an eggshell finish. It is very hit and miss though, and as I aid, not something that I recommend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back