Painting over plaster which has been painted then papered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen was skimmed and painted and then papered before I moved in.
I have removed the paper which has taken some of the original paint off with it.
I can't paint directly onto the wall because some still has some paint on it and some still is plaster.
It is impossible to remove all the paint off the existing wall.
Is there something which will cover the bits of paint left over and leave me with a smooth surface to paint ?

Sponsored Links
When the paper takes the paint off it often a sign that a mist coat wasn't applied, it is possible to remove the paint with the careful use of either hot air gun or steam stripper yet care should be taken not to overheat the skim. If you want to save yourself a lot of hard work lightly sand and dust off apply a thinned coat of wallpaper paste and line the walls with 1200 grade lining paper.

Well your alternatives would be to wash off any paste residue sand back and face fill, or remove the paint using one of the suggested methods. Yet if a mist coat was not applied there is every possibility that pressure applied with either brush or roller will tend to take even more paint off the wall.

Dec

Sponsored Links
I never strip and paint because even though you can wash walls down and prime with supa dupa primer/sealers you will always have paste in the walls! So for a solid lasting finish you will have to line im afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back