Painting Plastered Ceiling/Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a look through all the previous posts and couldn't find question had been asked before so here goes.

I have just had the back bedroom walls and ceiling reskimed with the intention of emulsioning the whole room.

Are there any techniques for acheiving a really sharp division between the different coloured paints on the ceiling and wall? Even with my best efforts with the paint brush, I am not happy with the results.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you can do it with masking tape if you cant cut a straight line. best way to cut a straight line is as follows:-

paint white ceiling first.

use a ladder so you are at the right height to concentrate on the cutting in.

use a worn in brush and load it with paint, not so that its dripping off but so that there is a fair amount on it.

apply it to the wall about an inch from the ceiling and keep the braod side of the brush towards the ceiling (a 2" brush is best) as you do this look at the brush and see which part of it is giving a nice straight line, as you do so work it up to the ceiling and start to go along the line you want.

as soon as you start to feel a little resistance thats the paint wearing out and move the brush away from the line.

start the process again and keep going.

once done use the roller carfully almost up to the line to take out any large brush marks

it does take practice and patience, once you can do it the results are far better than masking tape or paint guides.

i always find that a brush used the day before, wrapped overnight in cling film and paint left in a kettle overnight are better, as the paint is freeflowing in the brush and the paint in the kettle tends to be a little thicker.

But remember patience and practice are the key ;)

Thanks for the detailed response Thermo, I follow what you've said.

I started off with a 1 1/2" brush and gradually worked my down to 1/2" thinking it would make life easier :confused:

Time to get back up the ladder I guess :D

no use a 2" brush, prferably not a new one, and dont be scared to load the paint on. Good luck, bit of practice and youll get a neater line than you would with masking tape

Sponsored Links
Used the 2" brush as advised and with a bit more practice I should be getting some fairly good results. Not surprisingly my best efforts will be hidden from view when the wardrobes go back. Funny how it seems to work out like that.

Managed to complete the first coat for the whole room. Not sure if the headache is due to concentrating on getting a neat line or just the smell of the paint :)

told you! if your getting a headache from the emulsion, plenty of breaks and ventilation and drink lots to (dont know why but it always helps)

Had the windows open all day but the door was shut for a lot of the time so I guess the fumes built up as more of the room got painted. I will try the tip about the water tomorrow.

Only dropped the loaded brush once but luckily the old curtains I had put down saved the day for the carpet :oops:

On any corner, it will be better to have one of the surfaces right to the corner, and much less obvious if the colour strays onto the other one. Which is which depends on your eye-line and the room lighting. I can never remember which is which :oops: but it becomes obvious once you start.
Of course, it is much better to get the line perfectly into the corner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back