Painting radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is specific radiator paint what should be used, or is it marketing nonsense & other paint is fine/just as good/better?

Basically what to use?

With the skirting & rails having just been painted (water based) white, they're nice & bright, whereas the radiators are a bit cream now, aside from the one near the wall where my wife painted ... which is cream with blobs of paint splattered over it :rolleyes:

Aside from decent paint to use to bring these white, is it fine to just direct paint to them or do they need to be prepped in some way?

Any pointers (aside from obviously - don't paint when they're turned on)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'll give you my limited experience from the five I've painted in my home.

Special radiator paint is a waste of money. The spray-cans allow for an easy finish, but they don't go far, don't save you much time, and cost a fortune. That was my first radiator.

I've used oil-based undercoat and water-based satin on the others (after a good sand), and the results have been excellent. The trickiest part for me was getting the coverage into the recessed areas of the panel and smoothing it all over before it started to dry and drag.

I found it easier to remove the radiator and lay it flat, as excess paint smoothed out, rather than collected at the recess base.

You could use oil-based top-coat and it would be easier, but it will yellow. If you're not sanding back to metal (I.E: rust from a bathroom), then you won't need a primer.

Try using T-Cut on one first (yes, the stuff you polish the car with). If it works ok but is hard going then get some car rubbing compound, like Farecla G3. It's a bit more course so would work quicker.

Normal oil based gloss is fine for painting radiators at home. Yes they may yellow after a while but so will everything else. No undercoat is needed unless they are really battered and chipped. Just check for runs at the bottom after and they should be ok.
Radiator enamel is smelly, expensive and unless you are used to using a paint brush, isn't easy to get a decent finish before it tries to dry.

Sponsored Links
If the wall is a colour that can be matched by an oil eggshell - that makes a good finish that " disappears" into the wall :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back