Painting / Sealing poor cond Asbestos cement Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Dont know if anyone can offer any help?

I have an external asbestos cement gutter pipe, the surface of which is powdery and slightly crumbly to the touch. Underneath the powdery 1mm surface the rest of the pipe seems sound.

The pipe is open in my side alley & prone to being brushed by the kids playing there so I want make it safe & thought painting or sealing might be the best bet. I dont really want to go to the trouble of removing the pipe, as structurally it seems fine.

So what do you think is the best way to do it, bearing in mind the powdery surface? I obviously dont want to sand or brush it down. I was considering hosing it down to clear the surface debris, and then sealing it by spraying it with a PVA emulsion solution, and then painting with an alkali-resistant primer after that. I suppose then Id have to use an external gloss after that - sounds like a lot of work though & I'm not sure if starting with the PVA solution is the right way to go.

Can anyone offer me any advice please?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
I understand what you mean but asbestos,powder,dusty=health hazzard.My advice would be get rid.To get anything to stick its going to have to be cleaned from all dust/loose parts etc and by the time youve done all that and taken into account the risk you might as well take it out and be done with it but the choice is yours. ;) easy way for you to seal new pipe in your roof that anyone can do and will be 100% efective.Put new pipe through roof,make wodden frame to sit round pipe say 4 inch high(imagine a box with no top or bottom),fill with sand,cement and waterproof,allow to dry,remove wodden frame then apply 3 coatings of acrypol.You could do this yourself without the need of getting anyone in.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back