Painting stained pine doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've started a DIY job at home and I already regret it! Could use your expert views.

I've got Sikkens wood stained internal pine doors/architraves and the Misses now wants the architrave/door stop painted white (the doors will remain stained).

The doors/architraves are about 10 years old and the Sikkens wood stain was applied last year.

I'm using water based undercoat + top coats (Leyland acrylic) with a good quality synthetic brush, some floetrol etc etc.

I've completed one architrave, had to use 2 x u/coats and 2 x topcoat to get a good finish.

Do I need to block the knots using Zinsser BIN before painting white?

Thank you!

Cheapshots

Attachments

• IMG_4047.jpg
    IMG_4047.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
My dad has recently done this. Sanded down the stain, then 2 coats of zinsser bin 123, then used Dulux top coat.

I would advise using zinsser bin as your primer all over.

2 coats and then 2 coats of your chosen top coat.

Sponsored Links
Interesting that Zinsser 123 (water based) doesn't mention stopping knots seeping through, only says it's good at stopping stains whereas Zineer BIN specifically mentions knotting.

Whichever one I chose, do you reckon I could use BIN or BIN 123 for spot priming instead of painting the whole frame/architrave? I'd follow up with 1 coat of water based undercoat and 2 top coats....

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back