Painting stained wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A leaky upstairs radiator valve has caused black staining on the wallpaper in the room below:

All is now dried out and ready for redecoration. I was going to repaper but I've found the existing (embossed) wallpaper is marked as paintable. My question is, can I paint over that level of staining?

Sponsored Links
Bang some oil based undercoat on and see how it looks. Nothing to lose.

Bang some oil based undercoat on and see how it looks. Nothing to lose.

Joe, I have an aversion to using oil-based paints because of the complications of cleaning brushes and rollers, and the risk to carpets. I notice Dulux sell both oil and water based 'stain blockers'. Is there any reason I can't use a water based one?

No. I just thought you might like to save a few bob. A lot of people use disposable pound shop brushes and then bin them. I'm one of them.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

First off you need to use household bleech to wash off as much as you can (you can also buy MOULD KILLER but you only need a little so go with bleech)

Cover your carpet with dustsheet (few layers of newspaper or rubbish bag will do the job)

Get a ZINSSER or BIN primer and apply one coat over the satin with a brush.
These are quick drying oil based primers, really smelly when using so make sure there is good ventilation.

Water based stain blocks will not do the job as it works differently from oil based primer/sealent

once surface is dry, put 1 or 2 coats of emulsion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back