Painting Standards for Commercial buildings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to write a specification for re-decorating the inside of our Village Hall Annex in order to get quotes. it was built in 2010 and looking a bit tired and there is some settlement cracks, loose plaster around doorways and holes from recent plumbing and wiring changes including surface conduits. Its traditional build of blockwork walls with cement render and plaster skim and plasterboard ceilings.
All surfaces currently have matt emulsion and white gloss woodwork. The architraves and door stops get a real bashing from table and chair trolleys so going to get these replaced with MDF bullnose mouldings so corners don't get split off.

Things have moved on since the days of 1 coat pink lead primer, 1 oil based undercoat and 2 coats oil based gloss that painters and decorators of old used to do.

What should I expect a current day professional painter and decorator using acrylic products to apply?

I was thinking in terms of :-
New woodwork - One coats primer, Two coats undercoat, One topcoat acrylic eggshell

Existing Woodwork - Rub down and fill, 2 coats acrylic undercoat One coat acrylic eggshell

Walls - Fills cracks, rub down, caulk corners and two coats matt emulsion

Ceilings - Drive in protruding plasterboard nails (where bouncing insert a few dry lining screws) fill cracks and nail holes, rub down filler and high spots, caulk corners two coats of matt emulsion

Plastic conduit - 1 coat undercoat, one coat emulsion to match walls

Blown plaster around door frames and cracked render/plaster around tops of walls joining ceiling -
Large areas - Dig out loose plaster and re-skim with bonding and plaster skim (may need a plasterer to do patching) mist coat on new plaster, two or three coats of emulsion
Small areas from settlement - Dig out loose plaster and repair with Easifill or similar, caulk and two coats emulsion

I'm assuming some decorators might be happy to undertake small patching repairs whilst other may wish to get a plasterer in to do patching.

Is this reasonable expectation or should I expect different to the above.
Fozzie

Sponsored Links
One coat of topcoat on the woodwork won't be sufficient. Two should be the minimum.

One coat of topcoat on the woodwork won't be sufficient. Two should be the minimum.
Thanks, I had originally put two coats in my draft spec but wasn't sure of covering power of modern acrylics
Appreciate the reply and confirmation
Fozzie

You could include on the list that once new bare wood has been primed, raised grain will show and need to be sanded.

Also filler to be primed with diluted emulsion or similar.

And on the new woodwork, knots to be suitably treated.

Sponsored Links
You could include on the list that once new bare wood has been primed, raised grain will show and need to be sanded.

Also filler to be primed with diluted emulsion or similar.

And on the new woodwork, knots to be suitably treated.
Many thanks Sparkwright. All good points which I'll include. Hopefully new timber will be MDF profile (architrave and door stops) so they will come ready primed but need nail holes filling and sanding. Appreciate your reply
Fozzie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back