Painting steel balcony with surface rust but which paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's best paint for painting exterior steel balcony with checker plated floor, there's some surface rust but isn't too bad cheers

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd spend some time with a wire brush (or drill/anglegrinder) to remove as much loose stuff as possible, then use hammerite - if that is the look you are after

Personally I'd spend some time with a wire brush (or drill/anglegrinder) to remove as much loose stuff as possible, then use hammerite - if that is the look you are after
I'm going to use grinder with wire attachment just wondered about using a primer on the steel before top coat, something like red oxide

Don't think that hammerite needs primer.

Are you planning on painting the checker plate? Otften, it's galvanised

Sponsored Links
It's steel checker plate with bit of surface rust coming through the old black paint

It's on a old house but looks like it belongs in a industrial old building

Hammerite doesn't need a primer, it's designed to treat the rust, and then protect the steel. You can get plain black Hammerite, treat the area, and then either leave it if it's a close enough match, or repaint the whole area again.

Red oxide will protect steel from rusting, but not treat it, so you'd really use a rust cure, then the red oxide, then a top coat.

Only my opinion but Hammerite claims not to need a primer but it really does...its also awful to brush as it contains Xylene. I don't think that Hammerite does half of what it says on the tin, but it dries hard and reasonably quickly which is a bonus. It doesn't stop rust at all.
You maybe could look at products from Rustoleum or International Paints which are better.
John :)

There's some stuff called POR15 or similar which people swear by and use on classic car suspension components etc. Hammerite tends to be a bit brittle and can flake off.

Hammerite, but also consider Guard Vinyl from www.newguardcoatings.com

Chequerplate would tend to be galvanised, and if so all the one-coat paints like Hammerite will require a primer.

I like Hammerite. My current wheels are painted with Hammerite and have been for many years with no peeling or chipping. I spray-painted a previous car with Hammerite hammer finish, and it covered the rust and filler nicely and looked the business to boot.

There's some stuff called POR15 or similar which people swear by and use on classic car suspension components etc. Hammerite tends to be a bit brittle and can flake off.

I used that, got it from www.frost.co.uk. I spilled some on my dads garage floor and it's been there for years. The subframe I painted with it still looks new too.

There is a watery zinc spray on primer for it too.

I've used por15 before myself on my van roof rack, it's not done too bad chipped alittle but expected with how much I use it, but it's too expensive for the balcony as it's quite large

The checker plate is rusted, it's definitely made from steel not aluminum for sure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back