Painting walls/ made an arse of it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to paint room, Walls have been painted before with a brownie colour mat paint everything is plasterboard though I could paint over them with white silk emulsion have already done three coats and it looks like they’ll need another three coats is there anything I could do to help stop the paint soaking in to the wall or do I just keep coating with paint

Help cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Just leyland silk (not vinyl silk) that’s it had 4 coats still not enough, would changing to an other brand ie dulux help

Last edited:
Have you allowed it enough time to dry thoroughly. If still moist, I find you end up taking paint off, as much as putting it on.

I'd of covered in vinyl matt first to kill colour and act as a sealer.
So a couple of coats of matt then 2 coats of silk.
If colour buy matching matt colour as primer.
Silk tends to look terrible on flat surfaces anyway but whatever. People like it sometimes.

Retail paint has thixotropic agent added vs trade that don't.

Good shout about the vinyl Matt as a base course
Think I will need to try a different paint

Bit late now, but to kill strong colours, or patterns, on the wall, matt grey is better than white.

Light grey if you will be painting in pale colours, mid or dark grey if you will be painting in bright or deep colours.

For ordinary bare plaster with filler patching, or common pale colours, magnolia etc, Matt white is fine and cheap as prep.

Has it had 4 coats of silk with a good amount of drying between coats?
No good now but I agree, Matt would have been a good first coat.
10 litres of Leyland trade silk is £17.99 at screwfix or two for £32. Although it's more expensive you'll find it covers much better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back