Painting Walls & need to cover a darker cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People.

Can someone advise me how to best cover a dark colour with a lighter colour. I currently have a "coffee" type colour paint that i want to replace with a cream colour paint
I see B&Q do large tubs of white ... Is it best to paint over with this first & then use the cream, if so how many coats of the white would you suggest.
Is there a better alternative ??

Any advice appreciated

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Good quality undercoat will do the job.

get it from any DIY place, B&Q, Homebase, Wicks, Tesco!! any where that sells paint!

Light grey is very good at "killing" colour.

Some will say a light grey to obliterate the coffee, I usually for example with Magnolia, would use Dulux trade emulsion,, thinned slightly to my preferance and give it two full coats.. with a roller. The trade stuff has more pigment + better cover and less paint in long run... the b&q stuff will probably need a grey coat and several coats to give a solid finish ...IMHO.

Good luck ..

Sponsored Links
comfortably_numb said:
Hi People.

Can someone advise me how to best cover a dark colour with a lighter colour. I currently have a "coffee" type colour paint that i want to replace with a cream colour paint
I see B&Q do large tubs of white ... Is it best to paint over with this first & then use the cream, if so how many coats of the white would you suggest.
Is there a better alternative ??

Any advice appreciated

Thankyou

Are you talking walls or woodwork here?

Yo Zampa :

Da clue is in da title.

'know wh'a I'm sayin'

Firstly ... i apologise for not responding quicker .. for some reason i'm not getting email notification when a reply is made :confused: .

Secondly ... thankyou for the replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back