Painting Weatherboard, best type of stain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I am soon to be painting the weatherboarded part of my house, currently it is stained a black which has faded badly to a dark grey. I am looking for something which will provide a water tight finish and will ideally be matt as I dont want it shiny.

Anyone have any recommendations and also any tips for the best finish to keep water/wind out?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Sponsored Links
Hi. as you say its gray and don't mention flaking I suspect it's rough sawn wood (like fencing) ? If so, it's best to use a thin wood preservative stain for shed and fence/ cladding, like Cuprinol dark oak. I perfer the solvent based type as the waterbased types dissapoint me.

Go on tell me its smooth :LOL:

good luck..

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, you were correct it is the rough sawn type timber! :)

The original colour looks like it was black and the neighbouring house is black so not sure the dark oak would do the trick? I will see if they do a proper black colour? Cant really change colour as its listed and they will probably moan.

Has anyone ever over varnished this sort of stain to give it a more durable finish?

Thanks for your help

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back