Painting yellowed skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of decorating a bedroom and now that I've got rid of the furniture I've noticed that some of the gloss on the woodwork has gone yellow where it's been kept in the dark.

What's the best way of re-painting this to stop the yellow bleeding through?

Sponsored Links
Rub down to take the shine off then undercoat then gloss, personally I would use a satin on the wood work doesn't yellow like gloss and gives a more modern look but that is entirely your choice.

Alternatively wait a few months and it will become the same shade.

I agree with pigeon. Oil based white will yellow over time but is more durable than acrylic so if the skirting is not going to get abused you could go for that and acrylic tends to dry faster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips. Is acrylic gloss easy enough to get hold of as I'm guessing most are still oil based?

Dulux and Johnsons both do an acrylic Not sure if they are available at superstores best to google it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back