pakistan

kendor said:
There is extremism in loads of countries of the world including this one but that doesn't mean that the authorities or the public in general are all extremeists does it?

you're correct, it doesn't. and i did highlight this in my first post:

....pakistan shouldn't be assumed to be either a moderate country, or a secretly extremist country....
.... it would be incorrect to say that all pakistanis are extremist, or that all pakistanis are decent moderate people....

its the proportion of extremists to normal people that is really under question. some will argue that extremists number maybe 0.001%, others will argue 99% of their population is extremist. now if you believe that the extremists are a tiny minority, and i believe they are a sizeable proportion (say 70%), who's right?? i believe i am, due to mass demonstrations against musharraf (who is seen as a moderate), everyday people ignoring the existence of terrorist camps, mass celebrations over 9/11, no protests demanding a more moderate pakistan, etc..etc..

and i believe the pakistani govt to be extremist, due to the links i posted earlier.

Sponsored Links
user56565 said:
kendor said:
There is extremism in loads of countries of the world including this one but that doesn't mean that the authorities or the public in general are all extremeists does it?

you're correct, it doesn't. and i did highlight this in my first post:

....pakistan shouldn't be assumed to be either a moderate country, or a secretly extremist country....
.... it would be incorrect to say that all pakistanis are extremist, or that all pakistanis are decent moderate people....

its the proportion of extremists to normal people that is really under question. some will argue that extremists number maybe 0.001%, others will argue 99% of their population is extremist. now if you believe that the extremists are a tiny minority, and i believe they are a sizeable proportion (say 70%), who's right?? i believe i am, due to mass demonstrations against musharraf (who is seen as a moderate), everyday people ignoring the existence of terrorist camps, mass celebrations over 9/11, no protests demanding a more moderate pakistan, etc..etc..

and i believe the pakistani govt to be extremist, due to the links i posted earlier.
don't forget the caste system over there, what you see as "majority" on the TV are probably just one crowd who as we all know happens when crowds meet cameras riots tend to ensue, think what those pakistanis watching the uk G8 demos on TV must think, it's quite easy to misinterpret what you see on the screen and then put 2 and 2 together.

Just to add one more point, If as you say the majority are extremists and liable to become terrorists do you think that the USA and Britain would not have declared war on pakistan by now?
They go on about how they must overthrow any regime that supports terrorism.

kendor said:
Just to add one more point, If as you say the majority are extremists and liable to become terrorists do you think that the USA and Britain would not have declared war on pakistan by now?
They go on about how they must overthrow any regime that supports terrorism.

http://www.ipcs.org/South_Asia_arti...&kValue=828&country=1016&status=article&mod=a
Way back in 1992, Pakistan came perilously close to being declared a terrorist state by the US, after an ISI instructed attack by Kashmiri extremists on Israeli tourists in Srinagar. In 1993, Pakistan and Sudan came to figure on the ‘watch list’ of states suspected of sponsoring terrorism. Four years later, the Pakistan patronized Harkat-Ul-Ansar (HUM) was declared an international terrorist organization by the US State Department.

note the US has abandoned pointing the finger at pakistan for now, as their 'help' was needed in fighting the taliban. also the US does have its hands full at the moment.

the problem is that even if the whole population of pakistan were extremists, what could we do?? we couldn't just go and kill them all, all 300million, could we?? or would it be correct to do so, to stabilise the world and make it a better place?? hard decision, because you can't change the mind of an extremist, or imprison them all (think of the resources required to do so).

kendor said:
..what you see as "majority" on the TV are probably just one crowd who as we all know happens when crowds meet cameras riots tend to ensue, think what those pakistanis watching the uk G8 demos on TV must think, it's quite easy to misinterpret what you see on the screen and then put 2 and 2 together.

a very valid point!! but due to the other reasons i suggested, i still think a large proportion of the pakistani people are extremist.

Sponsored Links
Freddie said:
having enough bullets wasnt a problem

Shouldn't have been a problem at Isandhlwana either. They ran out of bullets there because they were dispersed and the runners couldn't get bullets out fast enough.

Stoday said:
Freddie said:
having enough bullets wasnt a problem

Shouldn't have been a problem at Isandhlwana either. They ran out of bullets there because they were dispersed and the runners couldn't get bullets out fast enough.

Also the rifle was crap due to fouling from the lead bullets when the barrels got warm, causing them to jam.

Back