Pan connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a flexible connector at the moment, and the rubber seal seems to be giving as there is a drip after flushing. It doesn't help that the location of the waste in relation to the pan outlet means the connector is probably on the 'stretch' limit.

It's a McAlpine part (I think WC-F26S), with a 90mm straight end outlet that enters the waste (standard 110mm) with what I understand to be a 'ring seal', not that I want to replace like-for-like anyway due to the tightness of it.

What's the best option to replace? Probably only need an extra 20-30mm! My setup is back-to-wall with a concealed cistern - housed in a unit rather than hidden in the wall. So if I could incorporate even an offset pan connector in the existing flexible one that would probably sort me out - can/should you daisy-chain actual pan connectors though?

Are McAlpine the "best"?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can you get something like this, but instead of being a pan connector inlet it's where the pan connector outlet goes into? I could replace the existing connector like-for-like (or even keep it) if I could raise the height slightly of the soil waste and angle it towards the pan which would ease the stress enough I think. Instead of at the moment the connector stretching both diagonally across towards and then down in to the waste (which faces up at floor level).

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/wc-con...ctors/wc-con16-45deg-angle-rigid-wc-connector

Or would I need an actual soil waste 45 degree and solvent weld it?

A quick pic of what you are doing would help. Cant you just extend the soil outflow point with a piece of pipe?

Can you daisy chain connector, yes and it happens all the time, is it proper, afraid not as it's just another flexible seal that can fail .

Just pulled it apart and had a look actually. I initially thought the pan connecter went straight in to the (finished floor level) elbow but there is a straight piece coming out of it (solvent, 1.25" exposed) where the pan connector goes into. If I compress the flexi and hold it somewhere approximate if an elbow was used, 45 degree would be no good, 90 would be more suitable.

IMG_20200528_105817.jpg IMG_20200528_105827.jpg IMG_20200528_105843.jpg

Sponsored Links
I`m only going by the photos which can be misleading however could you go straight back towards the wall with slight fall > turn left> horizontal with fall> down into connection with solid pipe.

At the pan end. The rubber seal on the connector is a bit flimsy, added with the tension on in it (the actual connection to the pan).
Far too many pan spigots are out of round nowadays hence people like McAlpine do a pan connector with a jubilee clip to get over this problem.

There is something amiss with the pan outlet ,or more likely the seal in the Flexi waste pipe. Have you removed it and checked the seal and retaining collar ??

Have you removed it and checked the seal and retaining collar ??

Yeah, that's why I say it's a bit flimsy now - cleaned it all out as well. When I put it back I connected the pan end first to make sure it was on all the way and square, but when I stretch it out to reach the waste it does definitely move a little

I`m only going by the photos which can be misleading however could you go straight back towards the wall with slight fall > turn left> horizontal with fall> down into connection with solid pipe.

If I reverse the direction, you mean: elbow to the right off the existing pipe coming out of the floor > straight pipe > elbow towards the pan > straight pipe > straight pan connector

Is 1.25" on the existing straight pipe enough to get a decent connection?

Was it leak free when originally fitted ?How long ago ?

Yeah - 6 years ago almost to the day. It started very recently when I had to replace the concealed cistern, which required moving the toilet out a bit, which in turn meant re-seating the pan connector.

There you go ,once removed should be replaced. The rubber seal is tight and flexible when new ,after 6 years it's lost elasticity and is pre formed. Fit a new one, mcalpine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back