Pan with leaking manufacturer sealing putty!!??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't believe the work fitting this toilet has given me between altering the 4" waste and cistern supply.

What now? I have spent ages working out a leak. With certainty, it is from a factory/manufacturer bit of sealing putty (of some sort) hiding behind the front of the toilet (back to wall toilet with a "skirt" to floor so you can't easily see or get to what would be visible from underneath) just to front of where water sits in the pan. To my continued astonishment the pan is obviously double skinned in some way. As, even with no water sitting in the pan near the leak, there was still a leak. So, the water must either be from a stagnant area due to the way the pan is manufactured or be part of the flush circulation. Either way, I easily removed the leaking putty (no surprise) , but really need to sort it.

My Dad sent me to buy this from Gumtree some weeks ago, so can't take it back. To be fair to the seller it was 100% sealed in it's box even with the nylon straps over the cardboard- so I think we're just unlucky. If of interest it is an "Apex APX750 short projection CC pan." I suspect the seller had two delivered...

I post this partly because I'm interested to know how common this sort of thing is but I welcome repair suggestion. I unsucessfully tried two part evo-stik plumbers mait (epoxy type stuff earlier) so need to try again. Need something very sticky on application to ensure it's gripped. I'm thinking of CT-1 to seal hole and maybe the above as a reinforcement.

I'm always determined to get there but this is trying my patience!

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion but.....
Any pan connector between the loo and the waste pipe should be new, and an appropriate one for the installation.....this is where many leaks spring from.
If you are sure the ceramic has a fault, it's next stop would be in the skip - but you could make sure by disconnecting the thing and filling it with water.
John :)

Hi Yeah it was finally sussed totally disconnected- mainly so as I could see underneath it.

Finding it pretty d*mn hard to believe it would have come like this from the manufacturer with a putty filling of some kind, but I'm 100% sure it has.

Meant to say, yes a new short mcalpine flexi. I spent the first part of today sanding down a biggish "pluke" on the porcelain outlet 'cause I thought it was what was causing the leak. That wasn't fun either but it definately wasn't the cause. It was really obvious once I'd removed pan and put it on my work bench.

Sponsored Links
For sure, when the loo is cast in its raw state, any faults are sorted with clay and then glazed and fired.....any repair afterwards must be a bodge!
If I really had to repair cracked or faulty ceramic, I'd use Araldite epoxy adhesive.
Maybe your pot has oriental origins.....there's always someone about to make a quick buck.

Who knows eh? Certainly a proper fairly uniform little hole about 7mm diameter thats been plugged.

Is the araldite stuff nice n sticky when you apply it? The prob with the evo stik stuff is that it wasn't really sticking well to the pan

i

Make sure there's no grease or whatever around the problem area and Araldite is the one ......it dries a yellowish colour though so I hope it's not on display!

Naw, more hidden than my wife's libido (well hidden these days).

Thx I'll see if I can find some

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back